Getting wi(4) cards talking between -stable & -current ???

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Fri Jun 20 07:57:21 PDT 2003

  ifconfig wi0 media DS/11Mbps mediaopt ibss-master

  on 5.x use:

  ifconfig wi0 media DS/11Mbps mediaopt adhoc

So, it looks like in 5.x (and NetBSD current, I think), 'adhoc' means
IBSS.  But there is the issue of 'creating' an IBSS.  As I understand
the spec, some node has to 'create' the IBSS by starting to send
beacons, and then other nodes will join, and then send beacons.  So
the IBSS (assuming full connectivity) can persist even among nodes
that are not creating the IBSS.   But, if one wishes to operate this
way among arbitrary nodes, it seems that the right thing to do is to
have all nodes perform the creation.

With Lucent cards, I have found that it isn't necessary to do anything
special to make then join an IBSS as a non-creator.  Regular mode (old
'-p 1') would associate with a real BSS (AP) or an IBSS.  But, with a
netgear MA401, I found that I had to use '-p 0' to join an IBSS.  I
also found that these nodes could create an IBSS.

        Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com>