IBM T30: more thermal problems

Tobias Roth roth at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Jun 19 06:53:33 PDT 2003

Hi

The days are getting hotter and my T30 coredumps more and more. I get
the usual sig4 and sig11 during buildworlds, which are strong indicators
of hardware problems.

I run current wich is only a few days old. The bios is up-to-date. The
errors happen with both apm and acpi.

hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature peaks at 3332, which is 60 deg celsius.
Is this acceptable?
What are other peoples temperature values with this model when doing a
buildworld with acpi enabled?
Did someone else besides me experience thermal problems?
Did someone with a T30  manage to read temperature values with apm?
Can I do something else besides a test with the memtest86.org utility
(memtest from ports fails with an 'out of swap' error)?
Or do I just have to call IBM support and convince them to replace my
system?

thanks in advance, t.