5.1 - should I?

Michael Collette metrol at metrol.net
Mon Jun 16 14:25:17 PDT 2003

On Monday 16 June 2003 01:59 pm, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > 5-CURRENT
> >
> > 1. Will it properly talk with this ATI card?
>
> No better than 4.8, although I have not seen your problem with this
> chip. The vtys never fail on my system. Only the graphics port has a
> problem. The system can't deal with the display powering on while
> running 1400x1050. Do you know what the R40 screen runs at in vty? If
> it's 1400x1050, that would explain a lot!

Not sure what you're asking here.  vty?  I can say that the native resolution
for this display is 1400x1050.

> > 2. Will it resolve my power management issues?
>
> Not sure what power management issues you have, so I can't say much.
> APM is about the same. ACPI has a poor track record on ThinkPads, but
> I have reports that it is working on some models. The R40 is very new,
> so, maybe.

When I suspend this box it has a problem with waking up.  It will start going
through the motions of waking up, then lock up hard shortly after reseting
the ata devices.  Also having a problem, perhaps related, with the screen
being turned off.  I can see the LCD backlight is getting power, but no
display is rendered.  In both cases a hard power down is required to get the
box running again.

> I do know that I can't put my units to sleep when they are on AC
> power. I have to unplug the AC and then hit suspend. I THINK that is
> the only problem I've seen.

I can put it to sleep just fine.  Either with the Fn-F4 combo, or with the zzz
command.  The only problem I'm seeing here is the waking up portion of the
equation.

> > 3. Built in wireless working?
>
> Maybe. If you have the Cisco card, it will work. I belive that the
> Intel card uses  a Symbol chip and is not yet supported. Maybe someone
> can confirm this. (My T30 uses a Prism 2.5 chip.)

Not sure what this thing has in it.  I'm not seeing anything showing up on the
dmesg.  Honestly, I haven't been looking that hard as I don't have a wireless
hub handy to test this thing with.  It'd be nice if it works is all.

> > 4. Anyone out there with a similar setup on 5?
>
> Yes, but running on T30 and 600E systems. I can send you the config,
> XF86Config, device.hints, and loader.conf files.

Consider the flood gates wide open.  I'd love to see any and all applicable
configuration files that might help me through this.  Might also be helpful
to see your kernel config as well.

I do have X up and running.  KDE and a set of applications all compiled and
just about configured for regular use.  If I had managed to muddle through a
workable power management solution I would have been ready to hand this box
on over.  As it is, things just aren't stable enough for me to do that at
this time.

Thanks,
--
"Always listen to experts.  They'll tell you what can't be done, and why.
Then do it."