LG 5350 cell phone

Josef Karthauser joe at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 11 15:44:26 PDT 2003

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 01:05:00PM -0500, Sean Welch wrote:
> I have this phone myself.  I have two adapters for it -- one is
> a serial cable the other a "true" (as in no serial to usb
> conversion box in the middle) usb cable.
>
> The phone works great under FreeBSD on the serial cable (normal
> Hayes modem type at commands work fine), but no version of
> FreeBSD has worked with the usb cable so far.  I tried 4.8,
> 5.0-RELEASE, and a few versions of 5.x-CURRENT.  The phone is
> quite usable from my iBook so the cable isn't the issue (the
> iBook reports it as a Qualcomm -- which is what the sticker
> says too).  I see the message you do, but when I try to use
> umodem with it the phone continuously "reboots" itself until
> detached.
>
> I tried something along the lines of what you did to usbdevs
> a while back but didn't get any improvement.
>
> The connection is appreciably faster over the usb port with
> the "true" cable when compared to the serial cable; it would
> be very nice to use it this way on FreeBSD...
>
>                                                    Sean

Maybe the phone doesn't identify itself as a usb modem class, instead
relying on a vendor driver.

An easy project for someone would be to write a general usb querying
tool for displaying the classes, etc that a usb device supports.
I've got code kicking around, mostly from Nick Hibma, but I never got
around to finishing it off.

Joe
--
Josef Karthauser (joe at tao.org.uk)	       http://www.josef-k.net/