APM problems under FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE on IBM Thinkpad A30p

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Wed Jun 11 14:36:14 PDT 2003

Dave Tweten wrote:

> jesse at wingnet.net said:
>>I'm again trying to get some form of power management operational under
>>FreeBSD. (If I can't, I'm not going back to Linux. I'll just deal with
>>it! ...
>
> Before going back to Linux

Didn't say I was going to. Specifically said I WOULDN'T.

> (particularly considering your rave review of
> it), why not try FreeBSD 4.8?

Already have. See previous emails to this list. 4.8 didn't properly detect
APM.

>  It's called STABLE for a reason, and the
> version of 5.1 you tried is also called Beta for a reason.

I did not install a Beta. I installed 5.1-RELEASE. 5.1 is quite stable at
this point. ACPI, on the other hand, is NOT stable.

> FreeBSD 4.8: tastes great, less filling -- particularly when it comes to
> power management on ThinkPads.

All except the A30p apparently.

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator