FreeBSD laptop with: 56k modem, ethernet, Xfree86

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Tue Jun 10 14:02:56 PDT 2003

> Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 22:44:17 +0200
> From: Mark Santcroos <marks at ripe.net>
>
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 01:40:02PM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > Does this mean that ltmdm now suuports ac'97 modems? Guess I need to
> > try to install it and see if it works on my T30.
>
> No, LTmdm supports (some) LucenT modems.
>
> AC'97 is where PCI device and codec are separated. Therefor you will need
> a specific driver for your codec. pciconf will tell your type of codec.

Thanks, Mark. This in an area of which I know way too little.

Turns out that the only unknown PCI device on my system is the modem.
Intel 82801CA/CAM (ICH3-S/ICH3-M) AC'97 Modem Controller in class
"simple comms".

I suspect virtually all newer system use this Intel chip with the Agre
WinModem built in. I further suspect that we have no access to the
information needed to program the codec and Agre and Intel only
release the information under an unacceptable NDA.

I've be very happy to find out that I am wrong about the last
suspicion.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)