FreeBSD laptop with: 56k modem, ethernet, Xfree86

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Tue Jun 10 13:37:24 PDT 2003

> From: culley harrelson <culley at fastmail.fm>
> Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 22:34:05 +0200
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org
>

> > I thought IBM did The Right Thing.
>
> You mean they use real modems in their laptops?

Not in any recent one. They did release the source code for their old
mWave modems, but they have not used them in years. My T30 used the
"standard" AC'97 modem which ltmdm at least didn't used to support.

The internal Ethernet is fine. I use a PCMCIA (Xircom REB100-56G)
modem card. Note that this card only works with V5, but others are
fine with V4.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)