[WORKING] Dell Inspiron 5150 and PCMCIA lock ups

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Wed Jul 23 23:24:54 PDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 02:15, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> On Thursday, 24 July 2003 at  1:46:44 -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> > I just got a new Dell Inspiron 5150 thinking it would be a nice
> > replacement for my 8100.  So far, I'm not impressed.  The BroadCom
> > BCM440x ethernet controller isn't supported, and everytime I insert a
> > PCMCIA card, the machine locks.
>
> Heh.  Ditto, s/5150/5100/

Follow-up!  James R. Higgins <sysop at bat21.net> suggested doing:

hw.pci.allow_unsupported_io_range=1
hw.cbb.start_memory=0x30000000

This fixed the hang, but I still wasn't able to use my PCMCIA cards.
Removing the memory range sysctl got everything working beautifully.
I'm on my wireless LAN as we speak.

Now, if only someone would crank out a BCM440x driver... ;-).

Thanks again to James.

Joe