lucent modem ? where it is ?

Gary Corcoran garycor at comcast.net
Sun Jul 6 12:48:25 PDT 2003

Gianmarco Giovannelli wrote:

> No, I suppose it is a lucent because winxp identified as:
> Lucent Technologies Soft Modem Amr
>
> In the id hardware identification it is detailed as:
> PCI VEN 8086 & DEV 2486 & SUBSYS_10D110CF & REV_02
>
> The modem AT command reports:
> ATI3 Lucent SoftModem Version 3.1.106
> ATI4 Built on 12/18/2001 17:42:45
> ATI5 3.1.106 AMR Intel MB.AC97 ID:SIL REV:0x27.08
> ATI7 AMR Intel MB

Seems you got a "soft modem", which really isn't a modem, but
only a codec (analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog converters).
The rest is done by (windows) software.  Your Pentium is responsible
for doing all the work that the DSP of a regular modem does, and so
you don't just need a "driver" in the usual sense.  Which is why the
normal Lucent driver won't work, and why you can't just "get specs"
to drive it.  In other words, the "driver" has to contain full
Digital Signal Processing code (plus the usual driver code) to
send/receive all the complex audio tones that a modem handles (in
real-time, of course).  This is so the manufacturer could save a
couple of dollars (instead of buying the real modem chip)...

Gary