wireless card

Ulrich Plate plate at gol.com
Sat Jul 5 04:20:14 PDT 2003

Jon Disnard wrote:

> You will do well with any card that is based on the PRISM2 chip set.
> To see a list of cards that support the Prism2 silicon, see the wi(4)
> man page. As it happens, your choice of the Netgear ma401 is a prism2
> card, and supports the ability to become an AP, and has a jack for an
> external antenna.
>
> Avoid the Lucent cards like plauge. They are of major suck.

This may well be true, but funny as it seems, I'm having no trouble
whatsoever with my Lucent Silver card in getting it to work inside my
WEP setup, while the Netgear MA401 refuses to acknowledge the keys (and
DHCP times out because of that). I've asked about this a few weeks ago,
but the only remedy suggested back then didn't solve it... I'd certainly
appreciate if someone could look over this again and tell me where I go
wrong. I have 'ifconfig_wi0="DHCP"' in rc.conf and a start_if.wi0 that
goes '/sbin/ifconfig ssid XXXXX wepmode on weptxkey 3 wepkey 1:XXXXX
2:XXXXX 3:XXXXX 4:XXXXX'. Manually assigning an IP address doesn't work,
either, and a third card I've tested, an equally Prism2-based Planex
GW-CF11H, has identical problems.

TIA
Ulrich Plate