FreeBSD 5.0 panic on Gateway 400 using Distribution CD

Bryce Alexander bryce at xanthworld.com
Tue Jul 1 21:12:21 PDT 2003

I just got a Gateway 400VTX Notebook and when I try to install FreeBSD I
crash before the distribution CD can finish loading. The results will vary,
but the most common failure is as follows:
FD messages
.
.
SIO messages
.
.
ACPI_CPU CPU Throttle enabled, 8 steps from 100% to 12%
Fatal Double fault:
         EIP = 0xc0440588
         ESP = 0xcce1a008
         EBP = 0xcce1bce8
Panic: Double fault

And the laptop hangs.

Sometimes it just hangs after the ACPI_CPU message.

Any ideas what may be causing this?
It doesn't have floppy drive, but it does have a "memory card reader
reader" that is capable of reading various memory cards like microdrive,
compactFlash, Memory Stick, Multimediacard, secure digital, and Smartmedia.
I am wondering if it is choking on this reader, and if someone can think up
a hack to get me past this.

---
Bryce Alexander
bryce at xanthworld.com