HP Pavilion ze4400 and 5.1-RELEASE

Peter Losher plosher-keyword-freebsd.a36e57 at plosh.net
Tue Dec 2 01:04:01 PST 2003

Hi -

I am debugging a colleague's new laptop, a HP Pavilion ze4400 running
FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE.   It's been a interesting experience, having to
turn off ACPI to allow the touchpad to work, but the side effect is the
on-board NIC (a NatSemi running under the sis driver) refuses to run at
startup; it's waiting for a 'watchdog timeout'.  I can run dhclient
manually and all is then well, but it's suffice to say a minor
annoyance.

All of that would be moot if I could get the PCMCIA wireless card to
work.   I purchased a Airlink+ PCMCIA card at Fry's (it's the only 16bit
PC Card 802.11b card they sell these days, although they do keep a heady
supply)  It's a fine, if ugly, card - It's using a Prism v2.5 chipset,
and works fine on my production laptop (Dell Inspiron 5100) under the wi
driver.  However, any PC Card you stick in the slot causes the whole
system to freeze.... hard.

I have tried all the tricks I used on this Dell, turning on
hw.pci.allow_unsupported_io_range, but to no avail.  Does anyone here
have a recent HP Pavilion laptop, and if so, how did you get your
wireless card to work?

Best Wishes - Peter
--
[ http://www.plosh.net/ ] - "Earth Halted: Please reboot to continue"