Docked or undocked installation

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Sun Aug 10 15:36:56 PDT 2003

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003, Doug wrote:

> I am planning on replacing my Mandrake Linux installation with FreeBSD
> (4.8, 5.1???), this on an IBM ThinkPad A20p. I have a docking station
> with (currently) a firewire pc-card in one of the additional pc-card
> slots on the docking station (with a hd at the other end of it). Should
> I install freebsd with my laptop docked or undocked? (I installed Linux
> with it docked and that didn't work brilliantly, so now I am really
> unsure.)
>
> The related question is, of course, how do I undock? (The docking
> station locks when the laptop is connected and needs to be sent an
> undock command, I assume. Is that available in freebsd????)

I don't think this is currently implemented.  Undock is an ACPI function,
and would need something to call the appropriate undock ACPI calls, not to
mention making sure the devices that will be disappearing understand
device detach. Not all devices do.

You'll probably have to shutdown to undock for now.