ThinkPads - native savage_drv.o 1.1.27t now available

Bruce M Simpson bms at spc.org
Mon Aug 4 09:22:19 PDT 2003

On Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 04:22:26AM -0700, Michael Collette wrote:
> Everything else, in the few short moments that I've been testing it, appears
> to be okay.  The 3d aspects of this don't seem to be doing much.  Tried
> viewing some OpenGL screensavers and they're as slow as ever.  Still, and I
> really want to stress this point, what you did was a truly wonderful thing!

Glad someone's happy.

I should point out the version of the driver I've made available for download
is not the recently released VIA/S3 driver. Their driver has a number of
problems which need to be resolved before it will work on operating systems
other than Linux.

Also, the 3D acceleration support is limited to the ProSavage and Twister
series of chips in the Savage family, so the code is not useful to me
right now.

If you like the Xv support in Tim Roberts' driver then you may wish to check
out my port of s3switch, in /usr/ports/graphics/s3switch; this allows you to
use the S-VHS and TV output present on some Savage-based cards, under FreeBSD.

If S3 are willing to tidy up their code and backport it to the earlier
Savage chips, then it will be useful on T22/T23, and I may be willing to
spend more time on getting it to be a good (i.e. portable) XFree86 citizen.

BMS