Dell Inspiron 8500

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Fri Apr 25 07:51:34 PDT 2003

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 16:40, Thomas Quinot wrote:
> Just received one today. The builtin WiFi adapter is still a Broadcom
> chip for which there is no known open-source driver, and worse, the
> builtin 100BT is now *also* a damned Broadcom thingy (BCM4401), for
> which there is a Linux driver but no FreeBSD driver (and as someone else
> recently noted, just adding a new chip ID to if_bge.c results in a nice,
> immediate panic).

Bummer :(
I don't really care about the wireless doodad but the ethernet is pretty
important.

Is the Linux driver open source?

> What was so wrong with the good ol' 3Com chips they had in
> Inspiron 8200? :(

I like the fxp in my 8000 :)

Thanks for your email!

BTW what video chipset did you get, and how difficult was it to get X running?
And, have you tried any PCMCIA cards in it?

(Just trying to determine whether the usual fiddly things will work :)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum
GPG Fingerprint - 9A8C 569F 685A D928 5140  AE4B 319B 41F4 5D17 FDD5