Cardbus works on second attempt?

Christopher Ramey cramey-fbsdmobile at binarythought.com
Fri Apr 11 11:42:43 PDT 2003

Hi all,

I've got 5.0-RELEASE running on a Dell Inspiron 8100. For some reason,
the PCMCIA card I use as my ethernet adapter doesn't actually work on
first insert. The card is a Xircom RBEM65G-100.

When I first insert the card (or if I boot up with the card in) I get
the simple message "cbb0: CardBus card activation failed." out to the
console. devd reports nothing.

If I then eject and reinsert the card, it works perfectly. Any insert
after the first attempt of the card is successful.

I shutdown and startup my laptop enough (and the construction is cheap
enough) that I'm starting to get worried I'm going to wear out the
mechanical ejection .. uh.. thingy.

Any suggestions besides me tying a string to the card so I can yank it
out manually? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

~Chris