The right way to do DHCP with wi/ed?

Dan Langille dan at langille.org
Mon Apr 7 15:11:17 PDT 2003

On 7 Apr 2003 at 14:55, Scott Lambert wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 08:39:22AM -0400, Dan Langille wrote:
> > What is the correct way to do DHCP with wi0?  I've been trying
> > various methods, but the only solution I've found is to do this:
> >
> > /etc/rc.conf:
> > ifconfig_wi0="DHCP"
> > pccard_enable="YES"
> > dhcp_program=/tmp/foo
> >
> > /tmp/foo:
> > ( /sbin/dhclient -d $* & ) > /tmp/foo.out 2>&1
> >
> > If I don't use /tmp/foo, dhclient hangs.  So far, the dicussion on
> > the ISC DHCP client list hasn't found a solution.  The lease is
> > granted, but wi0 never gets an IP addresses.  If interested, the
> > thread is at http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=104950219300003&r=1&w=2
>
> I use the {start|stop}_if.* files for my wi0 setup, my fxp0 too.
>
> start_if.wi0:
> #!/bin/sh
> #/sbin/ifconfig wi0 up
> /sbin/ifconfig wi0 wepkey 0xXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX wepmode on
> #echo "sleeping 15 seconds to allow time to associate..." #sleep 15
> dhclient -pf /var/run/dhclient.wi0.pid wi0

Thank you.  This is quite helpful.

I see my "sleeping 15s ..." message... twice.  The first occurs just
after "wi0: Lucent Firmware: Station 8.10.0".  The second occurs just
after "Doing initial network setup: hostname ipmon ipfilter."

Back to the original problem: wi0 doesn't get an IP address.
dhclient is running.  /var/dbh/dhclient.leases has the expected
values (I deleted it before rebooting).

> stop_if.wi0:
> #!/bin/sh
> /bin/kill `cat /var/run/dhclient.wi0.pid`

I have similar.  However, If I remove the card, dhclient is not
killed but wi0 disappears from the ifconfig output.  If the card is
then inserted, I don't see the "sleeping 15s" message.
And ifconfig still doesn't show a wi0 interface.

This is what I see:

[root at laptop:~] # wi0: timeout in wi_seek to fc80/0; last status ffff
wi0: timeout in wi_seek to fc80/0; last status ffff
wi0: detached
pccard: card removed, slot 0
Apr  7 17:57:56 laptop /kernel: stray irq 3
Apr  7 17:57:56 laptop dhclient: send_packet: No route to host
Apr  7 17:57:56 laptop dhclient: receive_packet failed on wi0: No
route to host

In fact, unless wi0 is inserted before booting, I can't get it to
work.

Possible clues: During the boot process, the "ifconfig wi0"
information appears on the screen but without an IP address, and with
the wrong channel (and "status: no carrier").  The SSID, wep info
etc, are all there.

Clues please?
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/