cbb0: unsupported card type detected

patrick carnahan gte805u at mail.gatech.edu
Wed Apr 2 20:46:57 PST 2003

i'm trying to run freebsd 5.0-release on my dell laptop, and haven't been having much luck. the boot process on the cd gets to a line where it says

cbb0: unsupported card type detected

at which point it freezes for about 10 seconds and reboots the machine. i have enabled the cardbus and pccard debugs as suggested in another posting, and got the following output:

cbb0: card inserted: event=0x00010001, state=0x00000001

anyway, every once in a while it decides to boot the cd, and once after installation i've gotten it to boot the kernel from the hard drive using 'boot -c' but i can't get it to boot again anymore.

is there a way i can disable the cardbus completely before booting so i don't run into this problem? i am running a dell i2650 with:

nvidia geforce2go
1.8ghz p4
256mb ddr ram
40gig hd
3com Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3C920)

i got a reply on bsdforums of someone else experiencing the same problem that was so kind to let me know that the integrated lan card uses the cardbus, so i assume this is what bsd is detecting on the bus (since my wlan card is not inserted at the time of the error). if anyone has any suggestions on how to solve this i would greatly appreciate it.

by the way, sorry about the lack of output but i have no way of storing the intermediate output and retreiving it later that i know of, since i cannot fully boot into the os.

thanks,

patrick