Control over the RSTP functionality of the AR8327 switch engine

Andrew Thompson thompsa at FreeBSD.org
Tue Apr 21 00:58:51 UTC 2015

On 21 April 2015 at 12:47, Petko Bordjukov <bordjukov at gmail.com> wrote:

> On пн, 2015-04-20 at 17:35 -0700, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> > Oh.
> >
> > So, I think the point here is that you can control the port STP mode
> > (blocked, learning, active, etc) - you then glue that into the
> > existing bridge code in software that's speaking STP.
> >
> > I don't know if the AR8327 speaks STP/RSTP itself. I know it manages
> > its own learning.
>
> I came to that conclusion as well. It looks like AR8327 only gives you
> the tools to control the mode of the port and you have to implement
> RSTP yourself. Which brings us back to square one in the other thread.

We already have a standalone RSTP implemetation in net/bridgestp.c, it does
not depend on the bridge code. If you look in bridgestp.h there are only a
couple of functions you need to call. You could hook in
to bstp_set_port_state() to set the chip register to the correct
discard/learn/forward state and somehow pass up the PDUs to bstp_input().
Not sure if its worth it but the hard part is done.

cheers,
Andrew