kern/177876: [mips] kernel stack overflow panic on mips64, EdgeRouter Lite

Stacey Son sson at me.com
Wed May 14 14:50:01 UTC 2014

The following reply was made to PR kern/177876; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Stacey Son <sson at me.com>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org, joe at rewt.org.uk
Subject: Re: kern/177876: [mips] kernel stack overflow panic on mips64,
 EdgeRouter Lite
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 10:41:13 -0400

 The following set of patches increases the kernel thread stack size to 16K by using a 16K page size for just the kernel stack.   Unlike my previous patch set it doesn't require additional wired TLB entries.  I have been using this patch set for a few months on my ERL with a NFS mount to 'buildworld' and for port building and have not seen the 'kernel stack overflow' panic.  It does add a bit of MIPS64 dependent code in the VM layer.  Maybe this should be moved to the pmap layer at some point.

 The patch set:

 http://people.freebsd.org/~sson/mips/kstack/kstack_large_page_1.diff
 http://people.freebsd.org/~sson/mips/kstack/kstack_large_page_2.diff
 http://people.freebsd.org/~sson/mips/kstack/kstack_large_page_3.diff

 or one large patch:

 http://people.freebsd.org/~sson/mips/kstack/kstack_large_page.diff

 "option KSTACK_LARGE_PAGE" needs to be added to the kernel conf file to enable.

 -stacey. (sson@)