FreeBSD on Mikrotik RB751G-2HnD

Luiz Otavio O Souza lists.br at gmail.com
Thu May 16 00:34:48 UTC 2013

On 8 May 2013 19:20, Piotr Kubaj <pkubaj at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all. I've recently noticed that FreeBSD is quite well supported on
> MIPS routers. I myself own Mikrotik RouterBoard RB751G-2HnD (specs on
> http://routerboard.com/RB751G-2HnD ). It seems to be supported. So, is
> there anyone running FreeBSD on this specific model or a similar one?
> Can I get some how-to on installing FreeBSD? One thing bugs me, most
> of these supported routers have 16-64MB flash. How is FreeBSD supposed
> to fit in that? Is some USB drive required? Thanks, Piotr Kubaj.

Hi Piotr,

Well, its kind of supported but there is no driver for the NAND on it,
which means you can boot from NAND yet.

Also i'm not sure what is the wifi chip on it cannot say if it supported or
not.

I've some routerboards from the 4xx series (433UAH, 450, 450G) and they all
work fine (booting over NFS).

There are a few options out there to address the installation size
footprint (crochet, zrouter, etc.) and USB storage is also an option.

I'm (very) interested in fully support all that models (RB4xx and RB7xx),
but it may take a while (i've a bunch of things to work on right now, but
feel free to poke me from time to time until i get it done).

Luiz