The great, hopefully-nearly-final TARGET_ARCH renaming.

Juli Mallett juli at clockworksquid.com
Thu Mar 29 05:38:36 UTC 2012

Hey folks,

I've committed my change to strip the "eb" from the end of big-endian
TARGET_ARCH/MACHINE_ARCH values.  There's some foot-shooting help in
the top-level Makefiles, but you'll want to rebuild with TARGET_ARCH
set to its new value.  If you were using TARGET_ARCH=mipseb you should
now set TARGET_ARCH=mips.  If you were using TARGET_ARCH=mips64eb you
should not use TARGET_ARCH=mips64.  If you were using
TARGET_ARCH=mipsn32eb, I'd be curious to know why, and you should also
use TARGET_ARCH=mipsn32 instead.  As ever, we don't support o64,
despite our indecency in supporting n32.  This is hopefully the last
change the MIPS port will see to TARGET_ARCH until we finally split
ABI out of it if we can ever figure out how.  Luckily, pkgng is trying
to solve for the boundaries of the ISA-ABI-FP-... problem space, too,
so there may be some convention arising soon that we could do some
work to fit into the base system.

Also, while I'm spamming everyone: if you know H. J. Lu, you should
ask if it would be possible for us to have access to this change under
the GPLv2, as the bug it fixes is causing some problems with binutils
on MIPS, but it was fixed after GPLv3:

http://repo.or.cz/w/binutils.git/commit/ee05170bf71819c99cb5a36a44735c231ae03c56

Thanks,
Juli.