Unbreaking ports with n64 MIPS.

Juli Mallett juli at clockworksquid.com
Thu Mar 15 07:47:08 UTC 2012

All,

Does anyone object to changing the target name of mips64eb to be
rendered as mips64?  It's difficult to build ports because although
the redundant "mipseb" as widely-recognized as synonymous as "mips",
our quirky use of "mips64eb" instead of "mips64" just plain breaks
stuff.  "mips64el" is, of course, recognized, but it's generally
assumed that MIPS is big-endian by default.  I understand this
assumption wasn't made in FreeBSD because the port that was committed
focused early on a number of little-endian MIPS systems, but it seems
worthwhile to switch.  I'm happy to make the relevant changes.

Thanks,
Juli.

PS: This may only need to be changed in how we name things in our GCC
and binutils to fix ports, but I'd rather change everything else to
match for the sake of consistency.

PPS: What to do for n32?  I think mips64{,el} is right for GCC and
binutils, with something like "n32" in the OS name, but I haven't
booted IRIX in almost a decade, so I can't remember what the
convention is.  I don't even know if there's software in ports that
would care.