First RSPRO deployed !

Luiz Otavio O Souza lists.br at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 10:15:18 UTC 2010

On Nov 16, 2010, at 9:24 PM, Milan Obuch wrote:

[snip]

> Here is output os rspro-ps program... What's that? Where does it get the data
> read from? Is there something on board itself connected to i2c bus or is it
> something externally connected?

It's my rspro power supply... I've nothing better to do at that time.. ;)

At that time i've no 48v PS and at same time i was looking for something to replace my server/router (which was suffering a lot with the very frequent power outages).

So i've designed a power supply that work directly from 12v batteries and gives me some information about its state thru i2c.

http://loos.no-ip.org:280/routerstation/images/13.html (basically - a little bit old, already added a charger for battery).

http://loos.no-ip.org:280/routerstation/images/12.html (here the output is connected to my rspro and the i2c is connected on my routerstation - development time).

>>> Again, it would be great if you could share your experience - I would
>>> like to run from flash too, but did not came there yet, I am still only
>>> at netboot stage with USB flasdisk based file system.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Milan
>>
>> adrian@ keeps a wiki page with some information about this:
>> http://wiki.freebsd.org/AdrianChadd/UbiquityRouterstationPro
>>
>> I'll poke him about a port for this flash tool, it's very simple to use.
>>

> Is it possible to read/write flash from FreeBSD itself? When I add
> geom_redboot into kernel, I see /dev/redboot directory with flash parts, but I
> have no idea how to read them - dd if=/dev/redboot/<something> gives just an
> error and no data are read... Is some special tool necessary for that? I would
> like to make a backup copy of flash, just in case...

Yes, it is possible to directly access the flash using 64k blocks reads and writes.

Be aware that currently we've a bug with geom_readboot and geom_label, they won't work together (it was given to me a patch that should fix this, but i did not managed to test it yet).

Try it with bs=64k and it should work (as Monthadar said, adrian@ have some patches floating around that reduce the block size to 4k iirc).

I'll try to post my script and Makefile for the mkfwimage.c (here is a sample with the ouput of routerstation for the flashing procedure: http://loos.no-ip.org:280/routerstation/)

> Also, there is a pin header marked UART, just opposite to RS232 connector. I
> would expect it to be a second serial interface, maybe, but I found no mention
> about it yet... Has anybody an answer?

It is not a second UART, it is the same uart ! (unfortunately)

It's better look at some usb->uart cable (like ftdi, prolific, etc.) or some other gpio solution.

Regards,
Luiz