Merging 64 bit changes to -HEAD - part 4

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Jul 9 21:42:33 UTC 2010

In message: <AANLkTimcCqP2SinyKJUqpT9l0j07AqGCLxMCuCGXc2wA at mail.gmail.com>
            Juli Mallett <jmallett at FreeBSD.org> writes:
: On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 13:46, M. Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:
: > pmap_map should likely have a comment to the effect:
: >  * For memory that's directly mappable, we return the direct map
: >  * address.  For other addresses, we create a map.
:
: Doesn't it already?
:
:  *	The value passed in '*virt' is a suggested virtual address for
:  *	the mapping. Architectures which can support a direct-mapped
:  *	physical to virtual region can return the appropriate address
:  *	within that region, leaving '*virt' unchanged. Other
:  *	architectures should map the pages starting at '*virt' and
:  *	update '*virt' with the first usable address after the mapped
:  *	region.

That's rather generic, and on some mips we do a mixed-mode here...

: > : mips-ddb-64.patch (from Juli's branch)
: > : Minor fixups for ddb support.
: >
: > Can you explain the casting for all the calls to kbdpeek*?
:
: Yes.  sp is (or should be) a register_t.  You can't go from a
: register_t to a pointer on n32.  Even if we don't intend to support
: n32 kernels from head, we shouldn't make n32 harder by using the wrong
: types without casts :)

True, but can't we redefine these functions such that we don't need
these great big ugly casts?  They are written in assembler, after all,
but are specific to mips so the API can change here...

Warner