RMI status

C. Jayachandran c.jayachandran at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 14:55:06 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 7:47 PM, Randall Stewart <rrs at lakerest.net> wrote:
> All:
>
> With an svn update to the latest head (of yesterday 2/10 am), I added
> JC's patch for the rge fix (which I committed yesterday).. and then I
> started a buildworld over NFS and headed off to work.
>
> JC had mentioned a panic way into the buildworld that he saw, I did
> NOT see it.. basically my buildworld completed yesterday at about
> 2pm Pacific :-) [not to bad about 7 hours for a buildworld single core]..
> YEAH!!!

Great news!

> Now I am not sure if JC's panic was something that has been fixed and
> he missed it.. or still looming. (JC please do an svn update and retry
> to see if you can independently recreate my result). If it panics
> on you again I will have to work on trying to recreate it.

I usually try buildworld with '-j16' to stress the system, I got the
crash after a few hours of buildworld. Anyway I will update to the
latest trunk, remove my local changes and see if I get the same issue.
 If I can get it to crash consistently on my setup, I'll do some more
work on this.

> I am going to consider RMI stable at this point (unless JC cannot
> reproduce my results).. and now move on to my to-do list:
>
> - SMP (Neel has a great start here so hopefully we can use
>       some of his great work and jump RMI to at least 8 core
>       pretty quickly .. I will leave threads off until I can
>       figure out a nice way to fix the pcpu issue).
> - Drivers yet to work
>   o PCI
>   o USB

I had worked on the original PCI and USB drivers (6.4) so I can take
these up in parallel if you don't mind.

> - n64..

Any plan of doing n32?  n32 with 64-bit physical address support may
be a better suited base configuration for XLR than o32, because we can
use all of the memory and the 64 bit support, without having to go
full 64-bit.

> So basically I am going to move on and see if I can break it now that
> I have it stable.. I will try to only break things inside #ifdef SMP though
> ;-)

Regards,
JC.