Cannot build the Mips 32 bit kernel

Patrick Mahan pmahan at adaranet.com
Thu Aug 26 23:42:25 UTC 2010

Juli Mallett wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 16:15, M. Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:
>> In message: <4C76F4B6.5050607 at adaranet.com>
>>            Patrick Mahan <pmahan at adaranet.com> writes:
>> : I have attached my modified OCTEON1-32 for you folks to look at.
>>
>> And the mailing list helpfully stripped it :(
>
> What's going on here is that we use ISA_MIPS32 bogusly (using it at
> all is bad enough, but...) namely we use it to determine whether to
> link in the relevant bits of libkern.  I'm not sure what the best
> thing to do is.  I've thought about creating a .c file that includes
> the libkern bits depending on the ABI that's being used, so that we
> can get config out of the business of handling this.
>
> In short: your config probably lacks and should have (even though it's
> actually wrong) options ISA_MIPS32.

Nice to have someone who is prescient ;-)

Yes, our current configuration was leaving this out and I wanted to
build without it.

I am trying to detemine where the, pardon my language, bloat is coming
from.

We build for mips o32 under 8.0 and our kernel (before we insert the
rootfile system) is

-rwxr-xr-x  1 pmahan  pmahan  38155521 Aug 24 19:22 kernel.octeon.32

Where when we build it off of head we are seeing

-rwxr-xr-x  1 pmahan  pmahan  243364423 Aug 26 09:45 kernel.octeon.32

~38 Mbytes versus ~243 Mbytes

a 6x increase in size.  So I was playing around with the configuration
file to decide what to leave out.

Patrick