Is the MIPS kernel buildable from HEAD?

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Aug 26 05:35:02 UTC 2010

In message: <AANLkTi=FZrdjE0KoUHvOiB9hyz5ZDWepS9743ghAw9SU at mail.gmail.com>
            "Jayachandran C." <c.jayachandran at gmail.com> writes:
: On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 2:43 AM, M. Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:
: > In message: <32AB5C9615CC494997D9ABB1DB12783C024C875590 at SJ-EXCH-1.adaranet.com>
: >            Patrick Mahan <PMahan at adaranet.com> writes:
: > : Is it possible to build the MIPS kernel from HEAD?  Or is the
: > : current development still external to the HEAD branch?
: >
: > Yes.  The tip of head is where the mips action is these days.  There
: > is no external development branch.
: >
: > There is one issue, however.  If you are building for one of the
: > 64-bit processors a 64-bit kernel, then the required userland won't
: > build.  There's still issues that need to be sorted out...
:
: The 64-bit userland builds for me with  -DWITHOUT_CDDL -DWITHOUT_USB
: -DWITHOUT_BLUETOOTH  -DWITHOUT_RESCUE - are you referring to these, or
: are there other issues?

I can do a buildworld now without any of these flags.  I don't know
what the bluetooth issue is/was, but it doesn't kill the build.  I
fixed the CDDL issue, and papered over the uath and rescue issues in
the build system.

I can now build a n64 world in -current.  I haven't had a chance to
run it yet, but hope to soon.  My CN38xx board doesn't like the 32-bit
kernel anymore...  It also doesn't like the 64-bit kernel, but I think
that's a uboot issue.  It seems older ldscripts didn't tickle the bugs
the current one does (on the other hand, the old ldscripts only worked
on the CN38xx board).  On the other hand, SDK 1.9.0's uboot on another
board works fine with the 64-bit kernel.

Warner