Machine Check exception during bootup

Neelkanth Natu neelnatu at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 4 05:04:34 UTC 2009

Hi Warner,

--- On Fri, 7/3/09, M. Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:

> From: M. Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com>
> Subject: Re: Machine Check exception during bootup
> To: neelnatu at yahoo.com
> Cc: freebsd-mips at freebsd.org
> Date: Friday, July 3, 2009, 8:11 PM
> In message: <122643.47019.qm at web34403.mail.mud.yahoo.com>
>             Neelkanth Natu
> <neelnatu at yahoo.com>
> writes:
> : ====
> //depot/user/neelnatu/freebsd_sibyte/src/sys/mips/mips/genassym.c#1
> - /u/neelnatu/p4/freebsd_sibyte/src/sys/mips/mips/genassym.c
> ====
> : @@ -91,6 +91,7 @@
> :  ASSYM(SIGF_UC, offsetof(struct sigframe, sf_uc));
> :  ASSYM(SIGFPE, SIGFPE);
> :  ASSYM(PGSHIFT, PGSHIFT);
> : +ASSYM(PAGE_SHIFT, PAGE_SHIFT);
> :  ASSYM(NBPG, NBPG);
> :  ASSYM(SEGSHIFT, SEGSHIFT);
> :  ASSYM(NPTEPG, NPTEPG);
>
> How do PAGE_SHIFT and PGSHIFT differ?

They are identical. I looked at other architectures and it seems that
PGSHIFT is a macro defined for mips alone. The same is true for
PGOFSET and PAGE_MASK.

So I went with the obvious macro - PAGE_SHIFT.

I think we should toast PGSHIFT and PGOFFSET and replace them with
PAGE_SHIFT and PAGE_MASK respectively. What do you think?

best
Neel