Minor reorg...

Bruce M. Simpson bms at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jan 21 06:07:39 PST 2009

M. Warner Losh wrote:
> sentry5		bcm47xx or broadcom
> ^^^^^^^

bcm47xx != bcm5365.

The 47xx chips have major pipeline bugs which require patched GCC
toolchains to address.

If my addled brain is in the right fluids, I seem to recall Broadcom got
into a bit of a flap because the patches to deal with the 47xx didn't
get pushed right back to GCC.

So multiple version(s) of the patches exist.

Other than that, I believe the backplane stuff in the SoCs are similar,
but NOT identical --  I think the bcm47xx memory controller needs a bit
of a kick up the arse to work, whereas the bcm5365 based stuff is
generally setup by firmware.

I think I posted something to list(s) about this in the last 2-3 years....

later
BMS