FreeBSD an MIPS

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon May 26 18:43:15 UTC 2008

In message: <483AD354.90800 at FreeBSD.org>
            "Bruce M. Simpson" <bms at FreeBSD.org> writes:
: Hallan S. Silva wrote:
: > Helo
: >
: > I am use freeBSD in a desktop x86. I can install FreeBSD in a:
: >
: > Silicon Graphics Tezro Visual Workstation
: > 2 processors IP35 1.0 GHZ - MIPS R16000 Processor Chip
: > Revision: 3.0
: >
: >
: > Can you help me?
: >
:
: As far as I know there isn't any board support in the tree for SGI MIPS
: machines, particularly the more recent ones -- the focus has been on
: embedded systems -- so you are unlikely to be able to install FreeBSD on
: that machine.

Yes.  We've been focused on getting the MIPS32 and MIPS64 ISA machines
working.  The R16000 may be close enough to these that adding support
for it won't be hard.

: I am sure people will be very grateful if you're planning to introduce
: code for this, though.

You bet.

Warner