Anyone porting YAFFS2?

Bruce M. Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Wed May 23 19:50:04 UTC 2007

Has anyone out there considered porting YAFFS2 to FreeBSD? Looking at
the design notes it sounds fairly portable, more so than JFFS2:
http://www.aleph1.co.uk/taxonomy/term/31/

This could be a good test case for flash support as it seems that a
NEWBUS interface could be implemented for flash controllers, which
YAFFS2 could then use.

I'm not sure how GEOM would fit into this picture. The file system glue
strikes me as a minimal amount of work compared to the rest involved in
supporting this.

Whilst the code is available under GPL, the author(s) state that they
are 'open to arrangements'; I'm not sure what this implies, the
licensing information on their site suggests this is about negotiating
commercial licenses with them. It would seem acceptable to me that such
code could potentially be imported under src/sys/contrib, however, this
leaves the question of what we do about firmware images which
incorporate such a YAFFS2 build.

regards,
BMS