Broadcom MIPS progress

Soeren Straarup xride at x12.dk
Wed May 9 19:58:07 UTC 2007

On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 05:32:21PM +0100, Bruce M. Simpson wrote:
> Bruce M. Simpson wrote:
> >
> >I am now scratching my head over how to attach child devices.
>
> This is kinda worked out, I now have newbus style children probing and
> trying to attach. This is cool, it means probe routines can be written
> in much the same way as for PCI; the siba bus driver will enumerate the
> bus, set vendor/device IDs in a devinfo structure, and export them to
> potential children via accessors just like pci(4) does.
>
> %%%
> siba0: <Sonics SiliconBackplane rev 2.3> at mem 0x18000000-0x18006fff on
> nexus0
> siba_attach: entry
> nexus_release_resource: entry
> siba_cc0 on siba0
> siba_alloc_resource: entry
> siba_cc0: unable to allocate memory
> device_attach: siba_cc0 attach returned 6
> siba0: <0x4243, 0x0806 "Ethernet core"> not attached
> siba0: <0x4243, 0x080b "IPSEC accelerator"> not attached
> siba0: <0x4243, 0x0808 "USB host controller"> not attached
> siba_pcib0 on siba0
> siba_alloc_resource: entry
> siba_pcib0: unable to allocate memory
> device_attach: siba_pcib0 attach returned 6
> siba_mips0 on siba0
> siba_alloc_resource: entry
> siba_mips0: unable to allocate memory
> device_attach: siba_mips0 attach returned 6
> siba_sdram0 on siba0
> siba_alloc_resource: entry
> siba_sdram0: unable to allocate memory
> device_attach: siba_sdram0 attach returned 6
> %%%
>
> I just need to work out the kinks with resource allocation; siba will
> need to export a resource manager to its direct children for
> configuration space which it has already reserved, and proxy the
> allocations for bus space outside its own range further up.
>

> >It seems likely that a full pci-style bus implementation will be
> >needed in siba (instance variables, devinfo etc) as it is likely that
> >architecture-independent code can be reused; in particular, ubsec(4),
> >uart(4) and bfe(4) for the onboard devices. I believe the onboard USB
> >host controller is OHCI.
>

> It looks as though this stuff is beginning to come together. I'd aim
> next to flesh out the basic ChipCommon functionality, determining the
> board clocks, setting up the UARTs and hooking them up to uart(4). Then,
> interrupt routing.
>
> After that stuff like bfe(4) can be dealt with. The OHCI controller on
> the WGT634U is not pinned out, there is a separate EHCI controller on
> the PCI bus to implement USB2.
>
> I believe the 4710 based systems are also using Siba so running on the
> WRT54G/S and WL-HDD2.5 should be feasible once we get bfe(4) hooked up
> to siba and stuff like ethercons is possible (as these systems have no
> UART which can be used for debugging the kernel during bringup, and
> their PMON firmware is primitive compared to CFE).
>
> Finally, getting the pci host bridge will be needed to access the
> [...]

I'm looking forward for mails from you. Your mails are very informative.

In one of your mails you wrote something about the au1500. And i'm just
wondering how different it is from the au1100?
Cause i have access to a board with an au1100 on it, currently it is running
linux via the Yamon bootloader.

Best regards Soeren Straarup
Soeren Straarup

--
Soeren Straarup   | aka OZ2DAK aka Xride
FreeBSD committer | FreeBSD since 2.2.6-R