FreeBSD/MIPS platforms question

Bruce M Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Tue Jul 17 19:37:30 UTC 2007

Oleksandr Tymoshenko wrote:
>     Hi! I'm adding ADM5120 support to p4 repo right now and stumbled
> upon the routine of setting memory size/timer frequency parameters,
> implementations of platform_reset and other functions of platform_
> family.
> For instance sentry5 uses CFM, malta and PMC boards utilize yamon and
> ADM5120 code gets these parameters as argc, argv of entry point.
> I think of moving all platform_XXX and mips_init routine to
> platform-related machdep file in platform dir, just like in -arm tree
> e.g.
> mips32/sentry5/setnty5_machdep.c
> mips32/adm5120/adm5120_machdep.c
> etc..
>
> What's your opinion?

Seems reasonable. Be aware of register arguments in locore being used
differently by the various firmware. I think I dealt with this OK, let
me know if I missed something.

I sent a mail to the gxemul maintainer and he was happy to incorporate
my patches for the YAMON sysreqs which real YAMON implementations
implement for this stuff.

CFE is a far more complete firmware than PMON and is generally more
helpful to kernel hackers than PMON is.
Sadly I haven't had any more free time to work on Sentry5 since
April/May. I have chip docs, but still haven't quite got the PCI bus
enumeration right.

Cheers...
BMS