Current status of FreeBSD/MIPS

Juli Mallett jmallett at FreeBSD.org
Fri May 23 19:53:45 PDT 2003

After many hours sitting and looking blankly at heisenbugs,
printfs that would make data accesses work, etc., I finally
sat down the other day and started looking for CPU errata.
I found some mention of LL/SC errata that might affect my
processor, and decided to replace atomic.h with a C version,
and suddenly I'm getting to cpu0: messages, and beyond by
some ways.  I've got about two large pages of SI_SUB listing
to make things go through, which at this point means fixing
up NetBSD's exception, etc., code to work, and getting stuff
like interrupts working, and doing a RealPmap(tm) instead
of just doing everything lazily out of KSEG0.  Here's what
goes on, modulo debugging printfs and the like:

%%%
Copyright (c) 1992-2003 The FreeBSD Project.
Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994
        The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #376: Fri May 23 00:17:16 CDT 2003
    jmallett at dalek:/usr/people/jmallett/mips.build/sgimips/usr/people/jmallett/p4/mips/sys/INDY
MIPS R4400 CPU (0x460) Rev. 6.0 with MIPS R4010 FPC Rev. 0.0
cpu0: 16KB/16B direct-mapped L1 Instruction cache, 48 TLB entries
cpu0: 16KB/16B direct-mapped write-back L1 Data cache
cpu0: 0KB/128B direct-mapped write-back L2 Unified cache
machine: SGI-IP22
ARCS memory = 786432 (768 KB)
Loaded program memory = 1449984 (1416 KB)
avail memory = 131964928 (125 MB)
real memory = 134201344 (127 MB)
%%%

I'd like a bit of help with one thing, if anyone could help...

MIPS redid their website, and in the process seems to have lost
all their R4K docs.  This includes all the CPU errata from that
era, and I've looked at some Google-Cached HTML of these things,
but that's very hard to read, and I've had mixed results with
doing that.  If someone has the errata PDFs and could send them
to me, that would be really great.  And also, if someone knows
much about the LL/SC errata, I can send off a copy of the atomic.h
that I'd *like* to be doing, and you can maybe tell me what
changes need made :)

Thanx much,
juli.
--