Six Feet Up - In Search of Systems Administrators
Lars R. Noldan
lars at sixfeetup.com
Mon May 16 16:29:13 UTC 2011
Six Feet Up is currently looking for two Systems Administrators. The
Systems Administration Team is responsible for installing, maintaining
and supporting servers for all of Six Feet Up's hosting clients and for
Six Feet Up's own uses.
In this job, you are not likely to have a typical day. Your time won't
be spent just answering phones, watching server logs, and attending
meetings. The Systems Administration Team is a fast-paced group that
handles a variety of projects and tasks. If you are looking to have a
fun experience with a variety of types of work, this might be the job
In this position you will work with a small team that reports to Jim,
the Director of Technical Services. Each day we have a short meeting to
go over work that needs to be accomplished. The remainder of the day is
typically filled working through tasks and issues that arise.
Each week, Six Feet Up holds an All-Hands-Meeting where you will find
out about all the projects and work that is being done throughout the
Each systems administrator brings different backgrounds and skills. We
work closely together and learn from each other. The wide variety of
projects and team members will help you expand your skills quickly. We
expect that you will also help us grow in our technical skills as well.
Besides just learning from experience on project work, we often schedule
internal training. This allows anyone in the company to provide training
on topics or projects to bring others up to speed. This is a great way
to expand your skill set.
Six Feet Up provides hosting services for various types of web
projects. A systems administrator at Six Feet Up supports a variety of
systems - from dedicated servers, virtual private servers, and the
infrastructure to support for our hosting projects. Systems
Administrators also perform technical services for customers to install,
configure, troubleshoot, and provide performance improvements (caching,
benchmarking, redundancy) for customer-hosted solutions.
Six Feet Up looks for employees who are team players who provide
recommendations for improvements for both internal and customer
technologies. Systems Administrators need to be self-motivated and able
to stay on task in order to accomplish items on their to-do-lists in a
All of Six Feet Up, including the Systems Administrators Team,
participate in the broader development community. We are often seen in
the Open Source Community attending:
* Conferences such as Indiana Linux Fest, BSDCan, Plone Symposium East,
* local Techy Meetup Groups such as IndyPy
* IRC Chat Rooms providing guidance and answering questions
We are not just filling a 9-5 job. We're looking for a person who is
excited and motivated by what we do.
In addition to supporting hosting clients, the Systems Administration
team also does quite a bit of work improving our infrastructure. This
involves researching and testing new products and systems and deploying
those that will do the most good for our infrastructure.
* Demonstrate ability to analyze and provide recommendations to
* Demonstrate ability to sniff network traffic to debug problems.
* Demonstrate ability to apply caching strategies and optimize Plone
system for fast delivery e.g. CacheFu, memoization, memcached.
* Provide training regularly to fellow sys admins on a variety of topics.
* Documenting processes and implementations for internal use.
* Conduct research on and promote the latest administration best
* Demonstrate ability to investigate foreign technologies and provide
* Demonstrate ability to architect and implement deployment projects.
* Demonstrate working knowledge of performance tests (e.g. using
Funkload or Jmeter).
* Demonstrate proficiency with Zenoss.
* Demonstrate ability to work without supervision.
* Demonstrate ability to determine client's needs and propose
* Demonstrate ability to quote projects for the PM.
* Demonstrate ability to research and recommend hardware for purchase.
* Promote best practices inside the Sys Admin Team
* Conduct regular quality assurance testing.
* Analyze setups and configurations for improvement.
* Teach the team how to correct/repair defects.
* Amazing problem solving skills.
* Ability to learn at lightning speed.
* Outstanding attention to details.
* Solid Shell scripting knowledge.
* UNIX working experience (FreeBSD, CentOS a plus).
* Strong Networking skills.
* You must be authorized to work in the US.
* Professional experience with hosting web applications.
* Python experience.
* Zope and CMF/Plone Experience.
* BSD Certification.
* ZFS knowledge, expertise.
* Working experience on Juniper routers, switches.
* Fast-paced, dynamic and cutting-edge open source environment.
* Opportunity to work on exciting, highly-visible and
* Interaction with international open source contributors.
* Mac OS X workstations.
* Democratic and team-oriented decision-making process.
* Casual work environment and flexible hours.
Please visit http://www.sixfeetup.com/company/jobs for more information.
Lars R. Noldan
Six Feet Up, Inc. | Where sophisticated web projects thrive
Direct Line: +1 (317) 861-5948 x609
Email: lars at sixfeetup.com
Try Plone 4 Today at: http://plone4demo.com
More information about the freebsd-jobs