Web Systems Engineer position
Jeremy C. Reed
reed at reedmedia.net
Fri Feb 29 20:23:55 UTC 2008
I am forwarding the following job announcement. Please send your
questions, resume, cover letter to me (as I am helping weed out responses)
and I will respond and/or forward them on. Thanks!
Web Systems Engineer Job Requisition
Central Host is seeking a Web Systems Engineer with at least 3 years of
experience administering and building web servers on the Linux and FreeBSD
platforms. Our Web Systems Engineers have both phone and email contact
with customers and are able assist in troubleshooting and maintaining
complex web server configurations.
This position requires extensive knowledge of web hosting technologies and
an in-depth knowledge of the Linux operating system is a must.
Central Host is a managed hosting company focusing on production web systems
management for business web sites. Our customers typically have multiple
managed servers and are accustomed to support from intelligent well-rounded
We must emphasize that we are looking for professional applicants only. Our
customers depend on our support to keep their customer facing systems
running and are severely impacted if theses systems go down.
- Learn details of existing customer hosting infrastructures.
- Assist customers with resolving hosting infrastructure issues.
- Design and provision hosting infrastructures based on each
customer's unique requirements.
- Design and implement migration processes from old to new hosting
infrastructures with minimal downtime.
- Work with customers to resolve hosting issues, coordinate
maintenance windows, and identify performance bottlenecks.
- Shared pager duty required to assist us in providing 24x7x365
- At least 2 years of experience of Red Hat Enterprise or Centos Linux
- At least 3 years of experience building and configuring the Apache
- At least 3 years of experience with PHP, Perl, and Bourne Shell
- At least 2 years of experience with the MySQL database server.
- Basic knowledge of Apache & MySQL performance tuning.
- Basic knowledge of the C programming language.
- The ability to troubleshoot basic build problems encountered when
compiling open source software using gcc, gmake, and configure.
- General TCP/IP networking experience.
- Additional experience with the one or more of the following
technologies is a plus: BIND, Sendmail, Postfix, Tomcat, FreeBSD, Plesk,
Lucent console servers, Extreme Networks switches, and/or Cisco PIX
Our Ideal Candidate Will:
- Be able to learn new technologies on the job.
- Be able to solve problems when no solution is provided.
- Contribute to the growing base of documentation in our operations
- Take an interest in proposing and carrying out projects to help our
company run more efficiently.
- Convey a sense of urgency to our customers when working to solve
- Be able to build tailored apache & php solutions from source while
wearing blind fold.
- Quickly realize when something that is advertised to be working is
- Be comfortable telecommuting 90% of the time.
Compensation is commensurate with experience and we are open to 1099
More information about the freebsd-jobs