java/189905: java/icedtea-web cannot launch system settings

Kevin Zheng kevinz5000 at gmail.com
Sun May 18 03:00:00 UTC 2014

>Number:         189905
>Category:       java
>Synopsis:       java/icedtea-web cannot launch system settings
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
IcedTea installs a setting and policy editor. These can be run through the installed desktop icon or from the command line by invoking 'itweb-settings' and 'itweb-policyeditor'. Unfortunately, neither work:

[kevinz at epsilon ~]$ itweb-settings
Your custom JRE /usr/local/openjdk7 read from deployment.properties under key deployment.jre.dir as /usr/local/openjdk7 is not valid. Using default (/usr/local/openjdk7/jre/bin/java, /usr/local/openjdk7/jre/lib/rt.jar) in attempt to start. Please fix this.
Error: could not find libjava.so
Error: Could not find Java SE Runtime Environment.

[kevinz at epsilon ~]$ itweb-policyeditor
Your custom JRE /usr/local/openjdk7 read from deployment.properties under key deployment.jre.dir as /usr/local/openjdk7 is not valid. Using default (/usr/local/openjdk7/jre/bin/java, /usr/local/openjdk7/jre/lib/rt.jar) in attempt to start. Please fix this.
Error: could not find libjava.so
Error: Could not find Java SE Runtime Environment.

Java runs fine, and so does the policy editor when invoked through a browser. I suspect something is wrong with the script that launches the application.

The settings editor worked in previous versions of the FreeBSD port of IcedTea. I cannot recall which version, though.
>How-To-Repeat:
Run 'itweb-settings' and 'itweb-policyeditor' from the command line, or through the provided desktop icons.