new port, axis2

Jason Helfman jhelfman at e-e.com
Thu Sep 8 18:11:07 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 05, 2011 at 10:16:24PM -0700, Greg Lewis thus spake:
>G'day Jason,
>
>First off, thanks for taking the time to work on a port of axis2.  Making
>it easier to set up web services on FreeBSD with ports like this are
>important advancements.
>
>That said, I haven't much experience with Axis2, so take my comments with
>a grain of salt.

Nah.... :) I thought you were very pleasant.

>On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 10:05:20AM -0700, Jason Helfman wrote:
>> There have been several issues raised regarding a new port I had submitted
>> for consideration into the FreeBSD portstree, and I was hoping to have some
>> feedback so I may proceed with a good direction in updating the port.
>>
>> This port is largely based off of www/axis.
>>
>> I submitting the following pr:
>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/159269
>>
>> The issues raised with it are that I have only a "war" file in the plist. I
>> have a number of ports now, and thought this may be the way to handle a war
>> file, however bapt@ would like for all of the files to be listed. I know
>> that the application server will extract these files, so doing so it not a
>> problem, and I can definitely understand why this should be done.
>
>Reading this, should we understand that the port will initially install
>just the WAR file, but then once it's started up it will expand that
>WAR file and hence end up with the fully expanded set of files present
>on the file system?
>
>If so, adding all of the expanded files to the packing list isn't the
>correct solution since if a user installs and deinstalls the port they'll
>get a bunch of packing list errors (creating a package will have the
>same problem, meaning pointyhat will think the port is broken).

My direction was to update the port and expand the war file as part of the
installation, and then list all of the files in the packaging list so that
shouldn't be a worry when it comes to any part of the packaging process.

>> Beyond this, though, it is being suggested that the scope of the port be
>> opened to more than just the apache tomcat application server. I was
>> wondering what your thoughts on this may be.
>
>What is the potential extra scope of the port?

To include many other application servers (ie. jboss for example, could be
more)

>> I was also curious that if everything was actually installed to
>> ${JAVAJARDIR}, and a class path was added for the application server, with no
>> dependency on any application server to be set considering the number of
>> possibilities, if the application server would properly resolve everything.
>
>For mine, installing in JAVAJARDIR makes sense if the JARs being installed
>there are "library" style JARs that other ports or development may depend
>on including in the class path for compilation.  I think installing other
>JARs there doesn't make a lot of sense, at least to me, it just raises the
>possibility of conflicts with other ports.

The only problem with installing it to JAVAJARDIR, is that with the war file
expanded, as you may know, it isn't just jar files. There is an entire
directory structure, as well. So this may cause some issues, I would think,
and would touch on your concerns.

>> Please cc me on replies, as I am not on freebsd-java, or java mailing lists.
>> Using a war is new for me, as my only other java-based port I maintain is
>> databases/jasperserver, although this is built from source.
>
>Just as an extra comment, why does the port favour Tomcat 5.5?  Is that
>really the right version to be the default version of Tomcat used by the
>port given that Tomcat 7 has been available for a considerable amount of
>time?

I was favoring tomcat55 as we are actually testing and using the axis2
application internally and know it works on this version. That being said, I
could test on others and make them available. I could easily offer
tomcat{5,6,7} as options, however I would make tomcat5 the default until it
is no longer an option, or we start using tomcat6. We are looking at least
at using a newer tomcat knowing that tomcat5 has an upcoming eol.

Thanks very much!

Jason

--
Jason Helfman