Java on ARM processor?

Greg Lewis glewis at eyesbeyond.com
Tue Oct 25 14:57:47 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 12:00:21AM +0200, Ronald Klop wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My Sheevaplug is now running FreeBSD 9.0-RC1.
> # uname -a
> FreeBSD sheeva1.klop.ws 9.0-RC1 FreeBSD 9.0-RC1 #7: Tue Oct 18 00:57:30
> CEST 2011     root at sjakie.klop.ws:/usr/obj/arm.arm/usr/src/sys/SHEEVAPLUG
> arm
>
> Is there any chance of running Java on this machine? The openjdk6 and 7
> ports say they are only for i386/amd64.
> Does freebsd have a Zero/Shark port of the hotspot?

It does, but it is likely in need of a little love as I don't think anyone
has tried it out for a while.  I'd suggest pulling directly from the
bsd-port repo for OpenJDK7 and trying that.

As always, the biggest problem is going to be bootstrapping.  Since there
isn't an existing FreeBSD/arm binary of openjdk7 you'll need to work around
that.  There are a variety of ways you could tackle that.  The most common
is to set up an NFS mount with an i386 or amd64 machine and remotely execute
all of the java bootstrap steps while the C/C++ compilation occurs locally.
I can provide further information if you're interested.

Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis at eyesbeyond.com