FreeBSD6 and Diable JDK 1.6 no gethostbyname_r

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Wed Nov 9 00:23:19 UTC 2011

Hi

I was wondering if there is any way to work around the lack of gethostbyname_r on FreeBSD 6?

I installed the Diablo JDK 1.6 for FreeBSD 6 for i386 today and executing programs that use the network like openfire generate:

 /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/public/diablo-jdk1.6.0/jre/lib/i386/libnet.so: Undefined symbol "gethostbyname_r"

Seeing as this Diablo was made for FreeBSD 6 I would have thought that this sort of thing would have been taken care of.

I searched in Google but only saw reports of this with no possible work arounds.

The system in question is not able to be upgraded right now though it may get replaced early next  year and bring us up to speed FreeBSD wise.

Thanks
Chad