New to Java on FreeBSD.

Dan Carroll fbsd at dannysplace.net
Tue May 31 11:48:32 UTC 2011

Hello,

I'm not new to java, nor am I new to freebsd.   But I've never combined
the two since historically, it was either not possible or difficult.

But I'm about to emark on a new project and java is my language of
choice.   I was wondering if it's feasible to do this with FreeBSD now.

It looks like the recommended way to go is to use openJDK on freebsd.
Is it an efficient JRE?  Is it stable?  Are there binary packages
available or are there licensing problems that prevent it?
What about EJB and Servelet containers?  Is it possible to get something
going under FreeBSD.

I guess basically I am curious as to what the overall status of Java and
FreeBSD is.   The FreeBSD project page is quite outdated, so I just
joined this list in the hope that someone can shed some light for me.

-D