Version number of openjdk6 port

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Fri Apr 15 16:42:41 UTC 2011

On Friday, April 08, 2011 4:28:18 pm Jung-uk Kim wrote:
> On Friday 08 April 2011 03:48 pm, John Baldwin wrote:

> > > Then, I would say cfengine is broken. "0" in that version match
> > > string is package dependent, not major, minor, or whatever.  For
> > > example:
> > >
> > > %pkg_info -E 'avahi>0.6.20'
> > > avahi-0.6.29
> > > %pkg_info -E 'openjdk6>b0'
> > > openjdk6-b22_4
> > > %pkg_info -E 'mplayer>1.0.r0'
> > > mplayer-1.0.r20110329
> >
> > Hmm, I can probably workaround this then using an explicit
> > comparison rule (so it doesn't use >0).  It would be nice if we had
> > an official way to match a package with "any version".  Perhaps
> > "pkg_info -E 'pkg-*'" if we assume that package names can never
> > have dashes in them (to avoid problems, with, say, 'foo-*' matching
> > both foo-1.0 and foo-bar-1.0.).  Oh, we already have those types of
> > packages:
> >
> > xorg-7.5            X.Org complete distribution metaport
> > xorg-apps-7.5_1     X.org apps meta-port
> >
> > The problem is how can software generically say "is any version of
> > the foo package installed".  It would seem we don't support that
> > currently?
>
> The key here is package origin, not the package name itself.
>
> %pkg_info -qO java/openjdk6
> openjdk6-b22_4
> %pkg_info -qO x11/xorg-apps
> xorg-apps-7.5.1
>
> It is always safe to find its origin because there may be prefixes and
> postfixes.
>
> %pkg_info -qoX ko-openoffice.org
> editors/openoffice.org-3-devel
>
> I think this would be the worse case in the ports tree:
>
> %pkg_info -qo apr-ipv6-devrandom-gdbm-db42-1.4.2.1.3.10
> devel/apr1

Unfortunately our package system is way too simple to handle something like
that.  What you get is a file and you can't say 'pkg_add java/openjdk6', you
have to give it a path.  Even if you try to use pkg_add -r, then you are still
passing different things.  I.e. if my directive was 'install the openjdk6'
package, how is it supposed to map that to 'java/openjdk6' to query if it is
already installed?

--
John Baldwin