Version number of openjdk6 port

Jung-uk Kim jkim at FreeBSD.org
Fri Apr 8 19:11:59 UTC 2011

On Friday 08 April 2011 10:39 am, John Baldwin wrote:
> Please consider using a better version number for the openjdk6
> port. Right now it uses a version number of 'b20_7' which due to
> the way package version works, is considered less than 0:
>
> % pkg_version -t 0 b20_7
>

> Why does this matter?  cfengine uses 'pkg_info -E pkg_name>0' to
> test if a package is installed.

Then, I would say cfengine is broken. "0" in that version match string
is package dependent, not major, minor, or whatever.  For example:

%pkg_info -E 'avahi>0.6.20'
avahi-0.6.29
%pkg_info -E 'openjdk6>b0'
openjdk6-b22_4
%pkg_info -E 'mplayer>1.0.r0'
mplayer-1.0.r20110329

> For example:
>
> % pkg_info -E 'bash>0'
> bash-4.1.9
>
> This does not work for openjdk6 since the version number is less
> than zero.
>
> % pkg_info -E 'openjdk6>0'
> % pkg_info -E 'openjdk6*'
> openjdk6-b20_7
>
> Perhaps you can just add the '6' to the version number always so it
> looks more sane?  This would match what python does for example:
>
> python26-2.6.6      An interpreted object-oriented programming
> language python27-2.7.1_1    An interpreted object-oriented
> programming language python31-3.1.3      An interpreted
> object-oriented programming language
>
> If the package name were 'openjdk6-6.b20_7' then cfengine would
> handle the package just fine.

java/openjdk7 uses openjdk-7.0.N where N is build number.  I am not
sure which is better. :-/

Jung-uk Kim