IcedTea6 Mozilla plugin with OpenJDK6

Jung-uk Kim jkim at FreeBSD.org
Mon Sep 13 17:54:38 UTC 2010

On Friday 10 September 2010 07:32 pm, Ivan Voras wrote:
> On 11 September 2010 01:00, Jung-uk Kim <jkim at freebsd.org> wrote:
> > On Friday 10 September 2010 06:13 pm, Ivan Voras wrote:
> >> But I cannot start for example this one:
> >>
> >> http://java.sun.com/applets/jdk/1.4/demo/applets/ArcTest/example
> >>1.h tml
> >
> > Probably you want to test it locally:
> >
> > file:///usr/local/openjdk6/demo/applets/ArcTest/example1.html
>
> Yes, the local copy works. So it is just failing to load applets
> over the network? Could this be some convoluted Java security
> problem?

I believe it just timed out for your environment.  In fact, there is a
reverse problem, i.e., some applets do not work locally when they
want to open local files.
E.g., /usr/local/openjdk6/demo/applets/MoleculeViewer/
and /usr/local/openjdk6/demo/applets/WireFrame/ fail because they
cannot open files in subdirectory (models).  If anyone can reproduce
the same problem under Linux environment, please file an upstream PR
here:

http://icedtea.classpath.org/bugzilla/

> > BTW, IcedTea plugin is not 100% compatible with Sun/Oracle's.
> >  Your mileage may vary. ;-)
>
> But the underlying Java is OpenJDK, right?

Almost. ;-) There is a big missing piece for applet support in
OpenJDK, i.e., Web Start.  IcedTea team imported Netx as a
replacement but it is not quite drop-in replacement, IMHO:

http://jnlp.sourceforge.net/netx/
http://langel.wordpress.com/2008/01/11/icedtea-and-netx/

Jung-uk Kim