this is probably a little touchy to ask...

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Fri Sep 10 14:29:19 UTC 2010

>>>>> "Mark" == Mark Sommer <msommer at somware.com> writes:

Mark> That's a pretty idealistic view of the upcoming release of HTML5.
Mark> I have yet to see a release of HTML that is compatible across
Mark> browsers, i.e.  adapted universally by all browsers uniformly.
Mark> Java is still a very viable platform, even on the browser.

Whenever I see Java firing up on my browser, I cringe.  (Flash too.)

There are darn few things either of these do that a good modern
cross-platform library, like jQueryUI, can't do instead.

Except for video playback, which HTML5 fixes as well.  And yes, until
then, we're stuck with Flash.

We needed Java before we had good JavaScript.  Now we have good
JavaScript.

I repeat... Java had its day.  Time to move on.