ports/151923: [patch] java/openjdk6: free and native openjdk bootstrap

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at freebsd.org
Thu Nov 4 08:02:39 UTC 2010

2010/11/3 Jung-uk Kim <jkim at freebsd.org>:
> On Wednesday 03 November 2010 06:43 pm, David DEMELIER wrote:
>> I made this like pkgsrc does, pkg_add -r openjdk6 pulls some
>> dependencies, I agree with you pkg_add'ing the prebuilt package is
>> possible but some people don't like this.
>
> If you are building it, you will need the dependencies sooner or later
> anyway.  I don't see your point. :-/
>
>> If you run -current or -stable packages could be outdated too, here
>> using a bootstrap will build depends from ports and openjdk from
>> ports without any binaries and without any non-free binaries.
>
> What made you think that your bootstrap binaries won't be outdated?
> In fact, I cannot shake the feeling that it may rot even faster than
> prebuilt packages.

Bootstrapping jdk has always been an issue because it depends on
non-free binary packages. Try to setup a package build cluster from
scratch it won't work  because of openjdk.

This solution is the easiest way to get openjdk6 without too much pain
for the user. he will just have to portmaster java/openjdk6 or the way
they usually install ports on there systems without being forced to
install prebuilt dependencies or install non free software.

with the old way it would have been pkg_add -r openjdk6 && make &&
make deinstall reinstall.

Sorry but I prefer a simple make install :)

In my case I would love to see it in the ports.

regards,
Bapt