Java Sandbox in a distance learning environ

J. Altman freebsd-announce at chthonic.com
Mon Mar 22 18:01:38 UTC 2010

Greetings...

An online course provider requires this:

"Your browser must also support Java applets."

And says this about Open Source Java installations:

"Students have had success using the Linux operating system and
Mozilla on a variety of platforms, such as RedHat and Debian. If you
use a lesser-known flavor of Linux, be sure to thoroughly try out the
Learning Sandbox to make sure it works for you. If by chance it
doesn't, simply let us know within 7 days for a full refund."

Under a closed-source OS, using Java in this environ is likely to be
trouble-free.

I am not as sure about this on FreeBSD, so my questions. My beginner's
understanding is that the installations and use of Java on a desktop
can be hairy and potentially troublesome.

I have reviewed, briefly, some recent traffic on this list, and the
downloads page at http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/downloads/java.shtml.

My current desktop, running Xfce, but not KDE:

uname -a
FreeBSD whisperer.chthonixia.net 8.0-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE-p2
#0: Wed Mar 17 22:12:19 EDT 2010
root at whisperer.chthonixia.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/WHISPERER  amd64

1) Can anyone offer some speculation about the ease of use for Java on
   this version of FreeBSD? While I am generally ready for a mild
   challenge in installing software for a desktop, this is probably
   not the time nor the best environ for such a challenge. From what I
   can tell, overall, I'm probably going to find it easier to use a
   closed-source OS. Or am I mistaken in my apprehension of a basic
   skill and clue level for installing and using, for the long term,
   Java on a FreeBSD desktop?

2) I saw some list traffic that indicated KDE might be the best
   candidate for using Java with few, if any, headaches. Any thoughts
   on that?

I'm not subscribed to the list; so if possible, please Cc: me on the
reply.

Thanks for any help, and best regards,

Joe