openjdk vs diablo-jdk [was: jdk and java plugin for newbies - icedtea6-stubs and openjdk6?]

Mike Jakubik mike.jakubik at intertainservices.com
Mon Jun 21 15:31:47 UTC 2010

On 6/21/2010 10:42 AM, bdsfbsd at att.net wrote:

> So really now this is just an issue of the preferred manner of having
> a jdk. I have yet to understand what openjdk is supposed to be versus
> what diablo-jdk is supposed to be, at least in terms of FreeBSD.. I
> know that openjdk is being designed for many platforms while
> diablo-jdk is FreeBSD specific, but the dependencies make it

One is certified by Sun and is sadly outdated and no longer maintained
(If someone could tell me why that would be great, the freebsd
foundation is taking donations, why isn't this money spent to maintain
the Sun JDK?), the other is an open source version that is actively
maintained.

> appear that openjdk on FreeBSD equals diablo-jdk plus other packages.
> Is diablo-jdk missing some functionality that openjdk provides? Or are
> they somehow qualitatively different things?

The other way around, openjdk is missing some Sun proprietary functions.
Mostly though, they provide the same functionality.