OpenJDK 6/7 kqueue based NIO provider

Nicklas Johnson freebsd at spatula.net
Sat Jan 30 18:43:27 UTC 2010

I looked into this a long time ago and opened a PR for it for the regular
JDK port, for exactly the reasons you cited.  At the time I looked into what
it would take but I lacked the time and expertise to make the changes
myself.  Specifically I never figured out how to build the JDK without a
multi-hour compilation cycle when I was just making one or two lines of code
changes.  I was too busy to invest much time in figuring it out
unfortunately.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=java/115773  is the PR.  It'd be
great if you were able to make it happen and if it could be backported to
the regular JDK port.

   Nick

2010/1/30 Pieter de Goeje <pieter at degoeje.nl>

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a kqueue based implementation of java.nio.Selector.
>
> If it doesn't exit yet, I'll have to create it myself. I've already looked
> at
> the code for the EPoll provider and it doesn't seem too hard to create a
> kqueue based one. I will have to figure out how to interface with native
> libraries though.
>
> The reason is obviously performance. I created a simple nio based echo
> server
> and a kqueue client in C, which creates about 50K simultaneous connections.
> Java is completely CPU bound and can only reply to about 100 connections
> per
> second due to immense poll(2) overhead, and it takes ages for all 50K
> connections to be accepted by the server.
>
> Input welcome :-)
>
> --
> Pieter

"Courage isn't just a matter of not being frightened, you know. It's being
afraid and doing what you have to do anyway."
  -- Doctor Who - Planet of the Daleks
This message has been brought to you by Nick Johnson 2.3b1 and the number 6.
http://healerNick.com/       http://morons.org/        http://spatula.net/